Thursday, June 11, 2009

Note: Due to a special readers request, I've tried my best to make the following post without spoilers. I don't think I write that well when I have to write like that, but this is just a trial.

Wolverine and the X-Men

It's no secret that cartoons more or less suck these days. The 1990s was a goldmine of cartoons, and those of us who grew up in that time were lucky to grow up with the Swat Kats, Captain Planet, Johnny Quest, etc, and with reruns of legendary cartoons such as Looney Toons and Tom&Jerry. Some of the early Cartoon Network creations like Dexter's Lab were pretty good but it seems like the creative mill doesn't have anyone to turn the grindstone anymore. Even Superhero cartoons have suffered. The recent Spectacular Spiderman and The Batman do no justice to their brilliant predecessors. However, I would like to say that one cartoon stands out from the rest of the pack. A diamond among the heap of coal, as one can say.

Wolverine and the Xmen is that cartoon. I don't want to include any spoilers but the series is not about Wolverine, featuring cameo appearances from the Xmen. It's actually about Wolverine being the leader of the Xmen. The series is produced by Toonz Animation, an Indian company. In the beginning I thought some of the animation looked weird as Wolverine looked too tall, but as I got used to it, I started loving it. Season 1 was really good and I can't wait for Season 2 to release. Season 1 itself covers many plots in the Xmen universe such as the Rise of the Sentinels. I won't say anything else because I don't want to spoil it for anyone. As in modern comics, the same story could be different in different forms of media. The same story could be different in a movie, different in the original comics, different in the cartoons etc. I think there are quite a few differences between X-Men Evolution and this series. However I do think that this series is more accurate than X-Men Evolution, especially pertaining to backstories of mutants.. There are appearances from many characters in the Xmen universe which simply adds to the excitement. The storyline(or should I say storylines) is very well paced and they all intertwine together at the end pretty well. The Xmen team throughout most of the series is Wolverine, Emma Frost, Beast, Angel, Forge, Shadowcat, Iceman, Rogue, Storm and Cyclops. Anyways, for anyone looking to get their teeth into a good cartoon series, I highly recommend this cartoon.


The Wrestler

I saw this movie a few days back and it potrays perfectly the life of a wrestler. It shows that wrestling, like all other forms of showbiz, is cutthroat and it's possible to have a completely unsatisfactory life even if you were a huge star in your prime. Mickey Rourke plays Randy 'The Ram' Robinson, a wrestler who was a great star in his prime. It shows that once work runs out for him, he doesn't have much money and is forced to take up work at the local supermarket on weekdays. And on weekends he goes and wrestles for a few hundred dollars in local wrestling shows. Randy also has a very strained relationship with his daughter. The movie shows how wrestlers who are opponents on that night discuss their tactics and moves in order to make the match as entertaining to the crowd as possible. Randy also has a slight relationship with a stripper played by Marisa Tomei. Overall it's a good movie and I'd give it 7.5/10.

I also saw Back to the Future 1 a few days back and read this book, Sidney Sheldon's The Other Side of Midnight. Both are good and I'd recommend them to you guys, although I'm too lazy to write about them,

The Confederations Cup in football starts in 3 days and I can't wait. There's nothing like a big international football event to cheer up my days...whooo....till

next time....

No comments: